Solo mining, no blocks?

I’m attempting to solo mine with 3000 Sol/s however I’ve yet to hit a block after several hours of operation.

I’m running GMiner 1.47 with RTX GPU’s and all works well when joining a public pool, just not when solo mining.

I have v0.4.0.2 of the kernel running, fully sync’d alongside the solo pool v0.2.3 – the kernel has RPC active, mining address and ports are correct, the pool is getting block notifications and authorizes my worker, GMiner then gets work notifications but no luck?

Is there any extra configuration I need be doing outside what is directed in the documentation?

Are the docs for running the solo pool outdated? they do contain several broken links on both the github and the docs.aion.network site, plus different instructions depending where you look; navigating was a task in itself… I strongly recommend the team fixes the mining docs as this is pivotal to the network no?

Any insights from other solo miners would be appreciated, I do not wish to join a pool – I would prefer to help decentralize the network.

Update: solved with a little workaround

2 Likes

Hi Lee! Great to see another solo miner :smiley:

Have you found any blocks so far? I remember that I tried GMiner for a little while and ran into some problems, so I switched back to EWBF miner. Maybe you can try EWBF?

I also think some work could be done to make solo mining a bit easier, currently it’s more difficult than it needs to be, and docs could be improved/updated.

Let me know if switching the miner works, other than that I can’t think of things you could try right now, but can look further into it or share the stuff I have set up right now.

Also, have you seen this post? You can set up a telegram bot that notifies you every time you find a block, pretty handy!

2 Likes

Hey Jim, thanks for the reply!

No blocks with GMiner, I tried EWBF but got 0 Sol/s as it’s only compiled for CUDA 8.0 + 9.1 whilst my RTX cards are on 10.1 – attempted rolling back to 9.1 but had issues. Would be great if @EWBF updates to support 10.1 for those of us with RTX GPU :slight_smile:

It does appear that GMiner’s implementation is not compatible with the solo pool release, surely the luck factor after 10 hours would be expected vs my hashrate to that of the network. I will give lolMiner and miniZ a try next.

I really do hope the team puts some effort into cleaning up the solo mining guides and implementation itself. Looking at the block explorer over the past 30 days it appears I could count the number of solo miners on one hand… considering the current difficulty and pooled hashrates there really should be more.

As of this post, solo mining is entirely viable for those with even a few GPU’s let alone the typical mining rig.

Considering the current environment, the team and the community should be emphasising the decentralization of mining nodes. One could surmise the health of the network – measured by way of decentralization – is in a rather poor condition. Whilst the Unity update will likely address this fantastically, I still think something should be exercised in the meantime.

p.s the telegram bot is very handy indeed, well done :wink:

I understand your thoughts on decentralizing the network and I do agree it is not in the best of shape but public mining pools are also very important. Our pool (aionpool.tech) spends a lot of money each month to support miners from across the globe with stratum servers in every region. We do not make money running our infrastructure and since day 1, our goal is to support the Aion network.

I do not suggest using lolminer with any nvidia cards. I have tested miniZ and it seems to be very comparable to EWBF as far as hashrate (they will be releasing an improved version very soon for Aion). It’s too bad Gminer does not have support for the RTX cards as it is by far the best miner for Aion.

Hi Yashnik, thanks for your reply.

Indeed public pools are also a very important part of eventual network infrastructure and I commend you and the other pool operators for supporting the project. In any regard there really is no sense for majority of hashrate to be consolidated to just a handful of nodes – convenience shouldn’t outweigh constitution. In a perfect public blockchain world this would be salient… but there doesn’t seem to be any kind of push for decentralization whatsoever, in a public fashion anyway. It would be exemplary if yourself and the other pool operators were to help further emphasize the importance of distributed hashrate :slight_smile:

As for lolMiner, yes there’s a considerable drop in efficiency so that’s not entirely practical. With miniZ, whilst it reports 10%+ improvement in Sol/s over GMiner, I do get 20%+ rejected shares on-top of instability – in comparison to near 0 rejects with GMiner. Hopefully the new version addresses this.

I would disagree in that most miners want to mine in the most simplest way and that’s what we provide.

I tested miniZ vs. Gminer and Gminer nets 15% more hashrate and is more efficient power wise as well. I have shared my results with them.

1 Like

Certainly, most miners do want to mine in the most simplest way – myself included. That’s why I’m bringing up the apparent issues with outdated mining documentation and requesting easier implementation/tools for solo mining be looked at with the upcoming Unity release. If all a miner need do was run the kernel and point their rig to it then I’m sure there would be more solo miners, however as it stands there’s a bunch of rigmarole in getting that configured.

I agree the documentation needs work (so does the pool documentation, trust me) but not many want to run a kernel. heck, most miners either use HiveOS or SMOS

For sure, but for those of us who do, it would be nice to have a succinct way of going about it :slight_smile:

Those mining today I would argue are more-so supporters of the project rather than pure profit seekers, seeing as there is a plethora of considerably more profitable coins to mine currently. It would be advantageous – not only for the health of the network but for its reputation – if those supporting the network helped to further decentralize it.

Decentralization is arguably one of the fundamental pro-purpose uses of public blockchain networks, else what’s the advantage over a more efficient centralized database solution?

1 Like

then you risk losing public pools. i dont think anyone thought it would drop back to this level either.

Well hey in a perfect world pools would not exist and everyone participating would be running full nodes, transacting and mining themselves lol. But alas that’s just a pipe-dream – one that Satoshi originally envisioned but the technology and its use cases have evolved far beyond that original intent.

Pools are arguably needed at some point for every-mans inclusion and I can see the logic for them being needed now considering the requirements and efforts involved to get started with solo mining. Generally solo mining is point and click within full node wallet software, but not in Aion’s case.

As for your situation, if you had less pooled users you’d no doubt require less resources and thus less cost to operate such a service no? perhaps turning a profit that can then be used to fuel support in other ways. Again I commend you for supporting the network but when I see near 50% of the hashrate on one mining node it’s just not good (I’d argue this is not just my opinion but the general consensus), regardless of any well meaning intentions there should be efforts to promote further decentralization and it’s in no way to all fall on you – this should be something addressed by the team and all pool operators.

Back in my early days of BTC and LTC mining there was co-operation between most pool operators with things such as new user registration limits and notices to join other pools to combat any getting too large; perhaps something like that can be looked at?

Please don’t take any offence but there has to be common ground here, doing what’s best for the networks health and reliability.

2 Likes

@Lee please keep up updated on your progress and what you end up using to mine. I’m curious and it also might help other people trying to solo mine :slight_smile:

no offense taken and good conversation. we’ve bent over backwards in the mining community to help the Aion network, other pool ops should be doing the same. We’ve done our part and most of our miners are 100% behind us. You should check out our twitter feed and our discord and you would see. We won’t tell our miners what they should or should not do.

As far as collaboration with other pools, the drama was ridiculous (we had a telegram channel with only pools ops) and sadly is definitely not an option however I do see possible collaboration in the near future with a couple of them now and a new one possibly being created if all goes well.

Well I managed to get up and running solo with GMiner by way of a rather simple workaround. I ended up compiling the aion_pool2 software (intended for public pool operators) then pretty much just disabled payment processing within the json config file by setting the related variables to false.

Happy to report I’ve now mined several blocks solo :partying_face:

I’m running the Java kernel and aion_pool2 on an older desktop (circa 2013) with Ubuntu 19.04

i5-3470 CPU (Quad Core 3.20GHz)
8GB DDR3-1600 RAM (in addition to a 2GB swap file)
120GB SSD

CPU utilization is ~6% whilst memory usage is ~49%. The Java kernel accounts for majority of this.

Whilst the recommended minimum hardware specifications listed within the aion_pool2 documentation were quite high, I now assume this was in presumption of many connected clients, payout daemons, share backups etc… none of which are really applicable to solo operations, hence why I’m having no issues running it dandily on my older desktop.

I will note the Java kernel appears to be nibbling more memory as time goes by – would have thought a more constant memory profile would be expected, perhaps there’s a wee leak? I shall investigate further if issues arise. In the meantime I’m playing with the Rust implementation and must say it’s fantastic, tempted to do a full migration!

Can you share your config file? I’d like to try it out, see if it may be easier to use than the old solo_pool, which probably won’t be updated anymore. I’m thinking that maybe we could make that pool with the config easily available to solo miners so we can help out a bit there, maybe convince some people to try it out.

Sure, so after following the installation guide you should have a basic configuration file:

/aion_pool2/aion_pool/build/aion_pool.json

Now you just need to edit the two references to paymentProcessing

Change the enabled value from true to false.

"paymentProcessing": {
  "enabled": false,
  "interval": 60,
  "shareRecoveryFile": "recovered-shares.txt"
},

"paymentProcessing": {
        "enabled": false,
        "minimumPayment": 0.1,
        "payoutScheme": "PPLNS",
        "payoutSchemeConfig": {
          "factor": 2.0
        },
        "accountPassword": "asd", // No need to specify
        "keepTransactionFees": false,
        "minimumConfirmations": 30,
        "nrgFee": 0.0001,
        "minimumPeerCount": 1        
      }

Because we’re not processing payments we don’t need specify an accountPassword value (above) nor rewardRecipients (below):

"pools": [{
    "id": "aion-1",
       "enabled": true,
       "coin": {
         "type": "AION"
       },
      "address": "0xa0...", // Your mining address
      "rewardRecipients": [
        {
          "address": "0xa0...", // No need to specify
          "percentage": 1
        }
      ],

The only other change I made was a personal preference to disable email notifications:

"notifications": {
  "enabled": false, // Disabled
  "email": {
    "host": "smtp.example.com",
    "port": 587,
    "user": "user",
    "password": "password",
    "fromAddress": "info@yourpool.org",
    "fromName": "pool support"
  },